RemTech 2008 Presentations
(Click on “Presentation” to open the corresponding PDF document.)
Federal Contaminated Sites – Innovative Remediation Solutions Workshop
- Overview of the Federal Contaminated Sites Program and Synopsis of Federal Contaminated Sites Issues – Presentation
Edward Domijan – Public Works & Government Services Canada Amy Sparks, Environment Canada
- Surfactant Enhanced Remediation – Presentation
George Ivey – Ivey International Inc.
- Mixed Plume Remediation using EHC In-Situ Chemical Reduction and Oxidation Technologies – Presentation
John Vogan – Adventus Americas Inc
- Mixing, Monitoring, and Safely Injecting Oxidants or Amendments into the Subsurface – Presentation
Barry Nevokshonoff- Sequoia Environmental Remediation Inc.
- Barrier and Cut Off Walls – Presentation
Stephen Custeau – Quantum Murray LP
- Soil Remediation of a Former Tank Farm in Tuktoyaktuk – Presentation
Philipe Gingras – Biogenie
- FOX-C Ekalugad Fjord Intermediate DEW Line Site Mid-Station Dump Lobe B “Excavation” – Presentation
Mark Yetman – INAC / Greg Johnson – Qikiqtaaluk Corporation
Technology Funding Options Workshop
- The Technology Commercialization Puzzle: Putting the Pieces Together – Presentation
Joe Lukacs, CETAC-WEST
- Lean Leadership in the Services Sector – Presentation
Anurag Pandey, Alberta Finance and Enterprise
- Bringing Technology to Market – Alberta’s Technology Commercialization Action Plan – Presentation
Tim Olsen, Alberta Advanced Education and Technology
- Alberta Ingenuity Fund – Program Overview – Presentation
Candice Berezan and Kirk Rockwell, Alberta Ingenuity Fund
- The SR&ED Program: Is it right for you? – Presentation
Douglas Clay, Canada Revenue Agency – SR&ED Tax Credit
- Make the Connection: Finance & Business Support – Presentation
Glenn MacDonell, Industry Canada
- NRC-IRAP Program Overview – Presentation
Rolf Stokhuyzen, NRC-IRAP
- Bridging the Innovation Gap – Critical Seed Funding for Technology Development & Demonstration – Presentation
Zoltan Tompa, SDTC
- Environmental Chemistry Made Easy A New Perspective on Water, Contaminant Solubility and Sorption, and Introduction to Surfactants in Remediation – Presentation
George (Bud) Ivey, Ivey International Inc.
Conference Technical Sessions
- Give Me Refuge: From the ‘Most Contaminated Square Mile on Earth’ to the Premier Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
Laura Williams, Remedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA Region 8
- Remediation of LNAPL Contaminated Fractured Bedrock Using a Bioreactor Study in Southern Alberta – Presentation
Jennifer Arnold, Stantec
- Enhanced Bioremediation Field Experience: Using Observed Half Lives in Design and Prediction – Presentation
Joanna Moreno, Adventus Group
- Design of Bioaugmented Biobarriers for Remediation of a TCE Plume – Presentation
Carol E. Aziz, Geosyntec Consultants, Inc
- Coupled ISCO-Bio via Activated Persulfate and Timed Oxygen Release using a Sodium persulfate/calcium peroxide matrix – Presentation
Frank Sessa, FMC Peroxygens
Military Sites and Gun Ranges
- Remediation Technologies – A New Challenge and New Opportunities – – Presentation
Jonathon Preston. DND UXO and Legacy Sites Program National Defence
- Remediation of a Former Canadian Forces Base in Chatham, New Brunswick – Presentation
Guy Lavoie, Biogenie S.R.D.C. Inc.
- Case Study – Innovative Methods Used to Investigate and Remediate Lead Contaminated Soil at the Strathcona Shooting Range, Edmonton, AB – – Presentation
Don Roy, Earth Tech Canada
- CAM-F Intermediate DEW Line Site Clean-up Sarcpa Lake, Nunavut – – Presentation
Jeff Dirks, Biogenie S.R.D.C. Inc.
Technology from the Netherlands – Update
- Initial Steps Towards a Close Co-operation Between Canada and The Netherlands in Soil and Groundwater Remediation Issues – Presentation
Hans van Duijne, Deltares-TNO
- Advanced In Situ Remediation Technologies in The Netherlands: An overview based on actual projects – Presentation
Yvo Veenis, Groundwater Technology BV
- Environmental Dredging Equipment – Presentation
David Tenwolde, Damen Dredging Equipment
- Optimizing In-Situ Chemical Oxidation of Residual DNAPL: Geochemical Controls and Sediment Oxidant Demand – Presentation
Niels Hartog, Deltares-TNO
Sydney Tar Ponds Update and FCMs Green Municipal Fund
- Sydney Tar Ponds and Coke Ovens Cleanup – Project Overview – Presentation
Roger Larkin, Sydney Tar Ponds Agency
- Solidification/Stabilzation of Sydney Tar Ponds – Presentation
Bruce Noble, Earth Tech AECOM
- FCM Green Municipal Fund Brownfield call for application – Presentation
Jas Michalski, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- The Theorgy Behind the Art Technology Scusses in Treating Petroleum & Chlorinated Compounds, MTBE and 1,4 Dioxane – Presentation
Marco Odah, Accelerated Remediation Technologies, Inc
- Rethinking the “Interim Measure” Strategy for LNAPL Remediation Projects – Presentation
Matthew Rousseau, Conestogra-Rovers & Associates
- To Be or Not to Be a DUA? A Critical Review of Procedures Used to Identify Domestic Use Aquifers – Presentation
Tai T. Wong, O’Connor Associates Environmental Inc.
- In Situ Chemical Oxidation of Gasoline Compounds Using Persulfate – Presentation
Kammy Sra, University of Waterloo
- LNAPL Remediation via Horizontal Biosparging Wells Facilitates Property Redevelopment – Presentation
Derek W. Tomlinson, ERM
- Tracer Testing Techniques to Support Design and Operation of In Situ Remediation Systems – Presentation
Craig E. Divine, ARCADIS U.S., Inc
- Pilot Test of In Situ Chemical Oxidation Technologies Leads to Improved Understanding of Immediate and Midterm Geochemical Response and Contaminant Destruction Within Petroleum Hydrocarbon Plume – Presentation
James E. Studer, ChemRem International LLC
- Soil Spatial Variability Implications for In Situ Chemical Oxidation and Reduction Remediation Programs – Presentation
Bruce Tunnicliffe, Vertex Environmental Solutions Inc.
Phytoremediation and Natural Attenuation
- Successful field and laboratory tests of advanced phytoremediation systems for decontamination of petroleum and salt impacted soils – Presentation
Bruce M. Greenberg, University of Waterloo
- Phytoremediation as an On Site Ex Situ Remediation Option – Presentation
Gary Millard, Shell Canada Products
- Numerical Assessment of Monitored Natural Attenuation Using Source Depletion as a Variable Loading Factor – Presentation
Bonnie Derksen, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
Solidification / Stabilization
- Two Projects, One City, One Solution: S/S – Presentation
Ernie Stine, Shaw Environmental and Infrastructure
- Site Remediation and Hazardous Waste Management With Presumptive Remedies Under BC Regulatory Provisions Using Cement-Based Solidification / Stabilization
John H. Wiens, SLR Consulting (Canada) Ltd.
- Removing Hydrocarbons from Soil more Cost Effectively than other Conventional Thermal Technologies is now Further Enhanced when you can Create Viable Recycling Alternatives – Presentation
Chris Harper, CHH Consulting
- Vapor Barriers: Chemical Compatibility, Testing, and Advancements in Materials Science – Presentation
Todd Herrington, Regenesis
- Case Studies: Use of Alternate Vapour Flow Media for Vapour Management Systems for New Building Construction – Presentation
Sean Ezekiel, AMEC Earth & Environmental
- Design of Below Sub-slab Vapour Management System For a Commercial Building – Presentation
Charito Canero, Golder Associates Ltd.
- Chemical Recovery via Vapor Condensation (A “Green Remediation” Approach): The Next Generation Soil Vapor Extraction Off-Gas Treatment Technology – Presentation
Lowell Kessel, G.E.O. Inc.
- Remediation of Perfluorinated Alkyl Compounds at a Former Fire Fighting Training Area– Presentation
Lindsay Paterson, SLR Consulting (Canada) Ltd.
- Off-Gas Treatment Carbon Footprint Calculator: Form and Function – Presentation
Lowell Kessel, G.E.O. Inc.
- Ex Situ Chemical Oxidation in Canadian Winter Conditions – Presentation
Dennis Owens, Oxy Teknologies Inc.
- A Cooperative Approach to the Management and Remediation of a Former Oil Refinery Site on the Banks of the Bow River – Presentation
Trent Parks, The City of Calgary
- Remediation in and Under Buildings – Presentation
David Isopo, Quantum Remediation
Alberta Environment Updates
- Update on Alberta Environment’s Remediation and Reclamation Initiatives – Presentation
Darlene Howat, Alberta Environment
- Draft Alberta Environmental Site Assessment Guidelines – Presentation
Norman Sawatsky, Alberta Environment
- An Update on Alberta Environment’s 2008 Draft Soil Monitoring Directive – Presentation
Chi Chen, Alberta Environment
Frameworks and Tools
- Making Use of the New Alberta Tier 2 Guideline Framework in Remediation Planning – Presentation
Miles Tindal, Axiom Environmental Inc.
- n-Hexane, Why is a Separate Guideline Being Developed for this Substance and Why is it Being Considered for Oil and Gas Impacted Sites? – Presentation
Anthony Knafla, Equilibrium Environmental Inc.
- How to “Unlock” Value to Remediate and Redevelop Gasoline Stations – Presentation
Tammy Lomas-Jylha, OCETA
- Environmental Forensic Principles for Source Allocation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons – Presentation
Gwen O’Sullivan, TRIUM Environmental Solutions Inc.
- The Use of DNA Technologies in Determining the Biotreatability of Chlorinated Aliphatic Hydrocarbons – Presentation
Annemarie Douglas, HydroQual Laboratories Ltd.
- Assessment and Remediation of a Historical Pipeline Release: Tools, Techniques and Technologies applied to In-situ/Ex-situ Soil and Groundwater Remediation – Presentation
Neil Reid, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
- Surfactant Enhanced Bioremediation of F3 and F4 Contaminated Soils – Presentation
George A. Ivey, Ivey International Inc.
- Geochemical Conceptual Site Models Validated by Speciation Data to Support In Situ Treatment Strategies for Metals – Presentation
Miranda Logan, ARCADIS U.S., Inc.
- Performance Comparison of Aerobic and Anaerobic In-situ Treatment Approaches – Presentation
Kim Heinze, Arcadis U.S., Inc.