This position is a part of the Environmental Services Division and is responsible for interactions with clients; technical proposals and contracts; project management; analysis and interpretation of experimental results; collaboration and interaction with colleagues; and interaction with external experts.
Are you our next Senior Researcher for Environmental Services ?
You would be a good fit for this position if you:
• Are resourceful, creative, and forward thinking; always looking to tackle new challenges and develop innovative solutions to problems
• Want to make a difference within Alberta’s environmental sector
• Collaborative by nature and able to work in a team environment across diverse disciplines
The Environmental Services Division strives to be the preferred partner for addressing complex environmental and resource management challenges. Teams within the division work collaboratively internally and externally with multiple stakeholders to identify, evaluate, monitor and implement solutions to address industry and government needs in the areas of environmental impacts, biodiversity monitoring, and carbon capture, utilization and decarbonization.
Key areas of interest for the Environmental Services Division relevant to this position include: environmental impact assessment and risk management; evaluation and de-risking novel remediation technologies and/or management solutions; reclamation (with an emphasis on native plants); mapping, modelling and use of digital tools; and sustainable approaches in environmental management (including incorporation of circular economy concepts).
The Senior Researcher is accountable for project development, management and execution within the Environmental Services Division of InnoTech.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Technical leadership of reclamation and remediation related activities.
• Lead client engagements to identify high priority focus areas and associated projects to drive reclamation and remediation related initiatives forward.
• Develop new projects and programs by preparing proposals and budgets for presentation to external clients to solicit funding support.
• Use and apply innovative technical capabilities to design projects and programs (including experiments), oversee execution, analyze data and draw conclusions.
• Act as a convener in the Environmental Industry to coordinate collaborative multi-stakeholder initiatives. Coordinate project outcomes including budgets, deliverables, and communicate on behalf of the team.
• Implement work plans, including organizing and overseeing project teams, managing budgets and resources.
• Provide consultation on projects within the Division and with others to enhance mulit-disciplinary capabilities.
• Negotiate and arrange contractual agreements with clients.
• Provide coaching and mentoring to employees.
Qualifications and skills we are looking for:
• Master’s or PhD degree in an Environmental discipline with emphasis in the reclamation and remediation disciplines.
• P.Ag. or P.Eng (environmental engineering) designation
• Current membership or eligibility for membership with the Alberta Institute of Agrologists (P.Ag) or APEGA (P.Eng)
• Minimum of 8 years relevant experience in the Alberta Environmental industry. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in:
o applied research; specifically the design of research investigations at bench-, meso- and field-scale to identify solutions for environmental challenges in Alberta
o assessment of environmental impacts from anthropogenic activities and understanding of high priority challenges in Alberta
o integration of multidisciplinary elements (soils, hydrology, contaminant management, vegetation, etc.) and tools (e.g., GIS, modeling, etc.) into project conceptualization and execution
o working in an innovation environment and balancing the science/technical, market, and business development requirements to achieve success
• Key technical skills include:
o reclamation, remediation and revegetation practices
o environmental risk and impact assessment
o soil, plant interactions
o multidisciplinary capabilities in an environmental context (i.e., general understanding of various environmental disciplines)
o experimental design and analysis (lab, field) at various scales
knowledge of, and ability to apply, technical solutions from multiple industries and sectors to address client needs
• Key business skills:
o Ability to facilitate and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
o Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and motivate others
o Excellent interpersonal, communication, and project management skills
o Strong written communication skills, demonstrated through technical reports and proposals
o Strong organization skills and attention to detail that reflects ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks, competing agendas and heavy client demands
o People management and leadership skills
o Ability to coach and mentor junior staff
o Negotiation, conflict management, problem solving and decision making skills
o Basic understanding of contract elements and process