NorthWind is currently seeking an Intermediate Environmental Scientist to join our team. The successful candidate will play an active role in field planning, leading field activities, and writing technical reports for a variety of projects and service areas. Proven experience completing forested and peatland detailed site assessment (DSA), with exceptional vegetation identification skills in these zones is required. The successful candidate will have a multidisciplinary skillset which includes a strong background and training in land reclamation, vegetation and ecology, soil science and wetland science, coupled with strong report writing skills.
• Relevant post-secondary degree from a recognized university or college directly related to Environmental Sciences, Land Reclamation, or Natural Sciences.
• Professional designation within the Province of Alberta as a Biologist (P.Biol) or Agrologist (P.Ag.) with five to ten years of related consulting experience.
• Strong project management skills.
• Desirable experience includes:
o Detailed Site Assessment (DSA)
o Reclamation Supervision
o Post-Construction (Reclamation) Monitoring
o Wetland assessment
o Soil survey and classification
• Strong plant identification skills throughout Alberta’s natural subregions (boreal, foothills, parkland, grassland) is required.
• Working knowledge and field experience with wetland classification and mapping.
• Strong understanding of reclamation practices and requirements in Alberta’s various regions.
• Valid Class 5 Drivers License with clean drivers abstract.
• Available to travel.
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines within a team environment.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Operational knowledge of GIS and mapping is considered a strong asset.
• On-site evaluation and analysis of landscape, soil and vegetation characteristics during reclamation monitoring and assessment activities.
• Supervision of field activities.
• Project management.
• Supervision and training of junior staff.
• Work alongside NorthWind consultants, subcontractors, and client representatives on a wide range of projects.
• Preparation of work plans, proposals, budgets, reports, technical memos, and letters.
NorthWind Land Resources Inc. is an environmental consulting firm based in Edmonton and Peace River, Alberta. The firm was established in 1999 and has acquired a solid reputation for providing clients with expertise in the fields of reclamation, remediation, soils, and agriculture. We are a dynamic, results oriented company that delivers outstanding value to our clients while maintaining the highest levels of integrity. Offering a great place to work, NorthWind has a team of motivated employees who are highly trained and knowledgeable with a vision to be an industry leader in environmental services.
Our team consists of experienced consultants and technicians with varied educational backgrounds and expertise. Our small company feel allows for professional improvement and varied opportunities. NorthWind values a safe work environment, valued employees, client satisfaction and environmental stewardship.